Monday, October 22, 2007

Moments before Midterms

There are two different moments that I'm talking about here: the moments leading up to a midterm, where you're either madly rushing to cram as much information into your head and onto your crib sheet as possible, and the moments leading up to getting a midterm back from your professor and seeing how you did in comparison to the curve.

I'm experiencing both at the moment (hah!). I get a midterm back in about 30 minutes, and I take a midterm in about 2 hours. This being my third, and final, midterm of the semester, I have given up on the last minute studying and have instead spent several minutes in random click-age of facebook. Because, quite honestly, I can't bring myself to care to study for another minute.

How different than my undergrad years, when I would have 5-6 classes and 2 midterms in each class! I seemed to always be up for studying for each of those, diligently staying up all night if it was needed to learn as much as I could to beat the curve. Somewhere between there and here I must have decided that it is not worth it. It is not worth the absolute misery that comes from pulling an all-nighter. It is not worth the headaches and backaches and neckaches that inevitably arise from being hunched over a book and papers for hours on end. It's just....not worth it. If I don't know the information at this point, then I don't know if I ever will.

I think being a grad student has made me lazier. 3 classes and two jobs and I whine about not wanting to do anything...so very different from undergrad!

No comments: